Get a FREE Consultation: Call 262-788-5335
Paternity Laws in Wisconsin

Paternity Laws in Wisconsin

Paternity Action Suit Wisconsin

Establish Paternity with the Help of Our Wisconsin Family Law Attorneys

There are few times that are as joyous as adding a new baby to your family. The changing landscape of the American family means that it is more likely now than ever before that the baby may be born to parents who are not married. If you are married to the mother of your new baby, Wisconsin law states that you are presumed to be the father of the child and you do not have to take extra action to be established as the legal father of that child. Being the legal father means that you have the right to ask the court to establish visitation or custody and also that the mother of the child can ask the court to enter an order for child support. If you are not married to the mother of your child, you will need to take extra steps to establish paternity.

Call us today at 262-788-5335 for a free 30-minute phone or Zoom consultation.


Paternity Laws Wisconsin

Helping You Understand the Need for Paternity Actions

First Look Family Law, SC has extensive experience in helping our clients decide if they need to file a paternity action. We know that your child is the most important person to you, and we have the tools to help you move toward your custody and visitation goals. We can provide you with information about the need for paternity actions. Attorney Karyn Youso will take the time to talk with you about the timing of your case, arm you with knowledge about the law in Wisconsin, and help you to make the best decisions for the next step for you and your children.

Paternity Law Basics

“Paternity” simply refers to the legal relationship between you and your child. As mentioned above, if you are married to the mother of the child, paternity is automatically established. Without the benefit of marriage, you will need to take additional steps to establish that legal relationship.

One way to establish paternity is for you and the mother to sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity. This document is usually signed soon after the child is born, and recognizes that both you and the mother agree that you are the child’s biological father. You do not have to have a genetic test before you sign this document. However, once you sign, you will gain legal rights but also become legally obligated in very specific ways to the child. It is also important to note that signing this document does not automatically grant you specific visitation rights. Before making this very important decision, talk to us at First Look Family Law, SC about your options and what this document will mean for you and your child.

Stay connected with your child for life

How to Establish PaternityLow-Conflict Paternity Resolution Wisconsin

If you and the mother of the child cannot agree to sign the Acknowledgement of Paternity, you will need to file a court case asking the judge to declare you the father of the child. These cases will often involve a DNA test to confirm that you are the father. Once you are established as the child’s biological father, you can go forward with requesting visitation or even custody. Conversely, the mother can also ask that an order for child support be put in place. Talking to Attorney Youso at First Look Family Law, SC will give you important insight into the process, including your rights and responsibilities during and after a court case.

Low Conflict Paternity Resolution

We have extensive experience with providing perceptive and knowledgeable legal guidance to our clients in paternity actions. We understand that custody and visitation issues are of the utmost importance to our clients, and we will work with you to work toward a goal that will best suit you and your family. Attorney Youso is skilled in assisting clients to resolve paternity and custody issues through settlement, which gives you and the other parent the ability to craft a parenting schedule tailor-made for the needs of your child. If no agreement can be reached, we are also skilled in litigation and contested court cases.

Call us today at 262-788-5335 for a free 30-minute phone or Zoom consultation.

Check out some of our Brookfield divorce attorney's articles:


FREE 30-Minute Phone or Zoom Consultation

Get Started
Mediation Services Milwaukee


Collaborative Divorce in Wisconsin

Collaborative Divorce

Property Division Laws Wisconsin

Property Division

Traditional Divorce Milwaukee

Traditional Divorce